thoughts, whims, and delusions of a middle aged mama

Friday, May 09, 2008

I just spent some time looking at pictures and video clips from the FLDS...
What beautiful children thy have!!!!
Fresh foods, fresh air....they are the picture of good health....then I read about this Furamase Defficiency disorder that runs through their community......
I guess it's not terribly different than sickle-cell or tay-sachs....but with those geneic mutations, couples who fall into the risk categories go for testing and if they both carry the gene, they don't procreate....
Anyway, it's scary...if I thought there was a strong possibility I could have a child with this disorder, I sure as hell would make sure my partner and I did everything possible to make sure I didn't get pregnant!!!!
I can't imagine consciously having a baby that is going to be retarded, have a major seizure problem, possibly microenceohaly, and probably die young...along with all sorts of other problems!!!!!!!
I am totally "taken" by this FLDS culture...I have no idea why...someone suggested it is my ancestors in heaven, working through me, to reunite our family.....apparently I have some familial linkages back to one of Joseph Smith's wives...
I think it's just because I would like a few 'sister wives'...hell, it would have surely come in handy raising the kids....and my house would be a heck of a lot cleaner...
I'm all for modest dress.....many say I am a throw back to the 1940's in 'my' style...or lack thereof....but I don't think I could ever do the prarie dress stuff or the strange underwear....no, no, no....not for me....
And the almost worship kind of way they treat their husbands...I don't think so....I couldn't bring myself to do it...no matter how hard I tried....
But the pain of having their kids taken..ohmygod I can't imagine....
It was absolutely horrific what I went through fighting with Danny over david....but to have the police, or CPS come in and take your child....to be so powerless.....unreal...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
First I am a mother, and grandmother....that is probably the single most important aspect of my life. Then I am a family advocate for a large, national advocacy organization. I work primarily in "systems advocay", helping to identify needs and change policies in children's behavioral health. And I love my dogs, my garden, my pond and fish, and trashy murder mysteries and the occasional shot of good scotch.... Fell free to post a note in whatever the most recent entry is...I love meeting new people!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed