thoughts, whims, and delusions of a middle aged mama

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Christmas Came, and Christmas Went

The Christmas of 2008 almost didn't exist in my life. Strange thing.
I have always, always loved Christmas!
It's the time when family gathers. Presents are exchanged, stories told, friends visit....
It feels warm and wonderful...
The house lights up!
I spend all year buying presents. I love finding wonderful treasures that are "just perfect" for a friend or child or neighbor. I wrap and wrap until my fingers feel like they're going to fall off...and I love every minute of it......
And the tree....oh...the tree!!!!!
We go out in the country, to a wonderful, old, Christmas Tree farm...and we walk all over until we find the perfect tree. We always get a "concoulor". (I think that's how you spell it.)
And it has to be tall. Our ceiling is 10 foot. It has to be full, but not too full.
It's quite the production, getting our tree...Fred and I often don't speak for days after the tree expedition!!!!!!!
This year we went to a local garden center, two days before Christmas and bought the last 'concoulor' they had. Turned out to be quite nice, after lots of trimming. We were lucky, and God wanted us to have a nice tree....had nothing to do with good planning or careful choice!
But we got the tree, got it home...got it up...Fred did most of the decorating, I did all of the rearranging.....
And it was beautiful...and I just took it down a few days ago....
Poor tree...it had been a fire hazzard for the last month...touch it and a gazillion needles fell....but once it was up, I just couldn't bring myself to take it down...
Maybe I was waiting for Christmas...or at least waiting for the good feelings and wonder I have always associated with the season.....the things that just didn't happen, this year....
My dining room, two days before Christmas, waiting for wrapping to happen!
Poor Fred, taking a break from putting up and decorating the tree!
A living room plant with my tropical bird ornaments....
The finished tree...it was nice, afterall!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
First I am a mother, and grandmother....that is probably the single most important aspect of my life. Then I am a family advocate for a large, national advocacy organization. I work primarily in "systems advocay", helping to identify needs and change policies in children's behavioral health. And I love my dogs, my garden, my pond and fish, and trashy murder mysteries and the occasional shot of good scotch.... Fell free to post a note in whatever the most recent entry is...I love meeting new people!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed