thoughts, whims, and delusions of a middle aged mama

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Front Porch Begins!

Saturday our Great Front Porch Saga officially began.
Our house once had a beautiful old wrap-around porch. Sometime in the past, probably in the 'forties', it was modernized. The porch was cut off so only across the front of the house remained. The awnings were removed. Alot of the decorative 'victoriana' is gone.




I don't have the money to replace the whole porch. At least not right now. But I do want to rebuild the front so that it fits the 'period' of the neighborhood, better. And the old posts were getting terribly rotten....not tomention that several floor boards had broken off, or were about to. One took one's life in one's hands just crossing the porch to the door. It was a lawsuit waiting
to happen!



We had to put a canopy over the deck because it was raining and all of the floor boards had to be primed before they could go down....what a production that was! Try getting oil based paint to dry in the rain! We had fans blowing all day.....




Here are Josh And David taking a short break after demo was done....the entire porch was then laying in a huge heap in the yard....what a mess....all old, rotting wood, full of nails and ants....just waiting for Mama....me...to clean up!
You can see part of the pile at the end of the porch, peeking out from the forsythia bush.....






On Sunday the floor was laid...and the posts went up....




So this is where we are now...it's getting there...slowly, but surely...

1 comment:

Chris said...

Its looking good!

About Me

My photo
First I am a mother, and grandmother....that is probably the single most important aspect of my life. Then I am a family advocate for a large, national advocacy organization. I work primarily in "systems advocay", helping to identify needs and change policies in children's behavioral health. And I love my dogs, my garden, my pond and fish, and trashy murder mysteries and the occasional shot of good scotch.... Fell free to post a note in whatever the most recent entry is...I love meeting new people!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed