thoughts, whims, and delusions of a middle aged mama

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Morrie's Iron Pot, Pot-Roast

Best darn pot-roast ever!!!!!!!

Morrie's iron pot, pot-roast;

Ingredients;
Large boneless chuck roast...4-5 lbs.
large green bell pepper, chopped in one inch pieces
one large or two medium onions chopped in big pieces...one inch
3-4 stalks of celery, including leaves, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 fifteen ounce can of diced tomatoes
about 2 ounces worsteshire sauce
3-4 tablespoons of chopped garlic
3-4 cracked bay leaves
salt and pepper
6 medium all purpose potatoes, cut in half
1 lb. of 'baby' carrots
several small, peeled onions, if desired

Dust the roast in flour and brown in oil on all sides
pour off the oil and add the canned tomatoes and all the chopped veggies and spices
add enough water to cover the meat.
bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer
Cook on simmer for four to five hours...until the meat is very soft...
Remove the meat. cover on a platter
add more water if necessary. add the small onions. cook for about fifteen minutes.
add the carrots
cook about ten minutes
add potatoes and cook until tender
remove large vegetables...
thicken water with a flour roux...
put meat back into simmering gravy for a few minutes to reheat..
place meat and veggies on a platter to serve...cut meat in chunks
place gravy with all the veggie bits in a bowl with ladle and enjoy!

I suppose you could cook this in any old big pot, but Morrie always used a cast iron dutch oven so that is what I use.
(I have my grandmother's cast iron pots and they are THE BEST!)

This works well with stew meat, also. Just reduce the time you cook the meat.

My father died a very rich, miserable man. This is the only thing of value I ever got from him.
The man was really pretty awful. But boy oh boy, could he cook!

2 comments:

Pliggy said...

Waaa, I already miss you mom!

rericson said...

awwwwwwwwwwww.........
I miss you, too!
Someday, Fred and I are going to drive all the way across country to share a wonderful meal with you and your family!!!!!!!!
Pa. Mama

About Me

My photo
First I am a mother, and grandmother....that is probably the single most important aspect of my life. Then I am a family advocate for a large, national advocacy organization. I work primarily in "systems advocay", helping to identify needs and change policies in children's behavioral health. And I love my dogs, my garden, my pond and fish, and trashy murder mysteries and the occasional shot of good scotch.... Fell free to post a note in whatever the most recent entry is...I love meeting new people!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed